- Test all pregnant women for HBsAg
- Report HBsAg positive women
- Vaccinate the unprotected
- Inform, advise, and provide follow-up care for HBsAg positive pregnant women
For more information, refer to Preventing Perinatal Hepatitis B - Guidelines for Prenatal Care Providers.
Referring HBsAg-Positive Women to the Public Health Department's Perinatal Hepatitis B Program
Primary and prenatal care providers should also report pregnant women who test positive for HBsAg. To refer an HBsAg-positive pregnant or post-partum woman to the Perinatal Hepatitis B Prevention Program, please complete and fax the following form to (408) 792-1304: Program Referral Form.
Other Resources for Hepatitis B Prevention and Reporting
- Hospital Note: Provide to HBsAg positive pregnant women to give delivery hospital staff and alert them of HBsAg status
- California Maternal Screening Law
- Confirmatory HBsAg Testing Requirement Letter
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Public Health Fact Sheet
- CDC Prenatal HBsAg Testing Guide and Algorithm
- Management of HBsAg-positive Persons
- 2013 Physician’s Guide to Hepatitis B